Tuesday, October 21, 2008

WFMW - Fabric Organization

I love fabric. And I have plenty of it. I would say lots, but I have seen pics of other stashes, and mine really wouldn’t qualify as lots. But it is plenty.

Organization is definitely not my strong suit. Never has been, but I do think I have found the perfect solution to fabric organization. This was definitely not an original idea, but one that I found after diligently searching the web.

The supplies that you will need are shelving, or cubicles (I purchased mine from Target) and comic book boards. The boards took some searching to find locally, but I was able to get them at a comic book store. (Not just any comic book store, mind you, and the comics that I am familiar with, Archie and Jughead, were nowhere to be find. This was a very, very dark comic book store. If that is your only choice and you happen to be a 40 yr. old woman, who would be very out of place, I would say skip it, and order them online.) The boards remind me of poster board, just a smaller size.

I went through my storage boxes of fabric and took the large pieces, fold them neatly and wrap them around the board. The size of the fabric was anywhere from ½ yard to 2 yards. I had my husband take a handful of boards to work and cut them in half, making smaller boards. On those, I wrapped my smaller pieces of fabric and have stored them in a fabric drawer. I secure the fabric with a straight pin at one corner and then place it upright on a shelf, similar to storing books. I have attempted to group them by fabric type/theme, but they always seem to get out of order. For now, I am pleased with the progress.


You will be amazed at the amount of fabric that can be stored this way. This was from two to three huge plastic storage containers full of fabric.I cannot explain what a time saver this has been for me. I can now see all of my fabric and am able to find it without digging through a bin.

It definitely Works for Me. For other great tips, please visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I love it. Organized and visually appealing!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

Great idea and thanks for sharing...I'm posting a link on my blog!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Wow- your organization is beautiful! :) What a great idea!

Blessings,
Michele

LunaMoonbeam said...

Wow...what a great idea! (Man, my comment is SO original. ;-)) But this truly is! My itty bitty fabric stash is currently rolled and stacked in cubes (like your cubes...but not NEARLY so neatly organized!!)

Frances said...

Fabulous idea and implementation!

MediMonsters said...

That looks great!! TFS

www.frogparenting.blogspot.com said...

I might have to make this a project to do, before I buy ...any more fabric!
It does look really clean and organized-- ah, the Joy!

Unknown said...

Wow, I have got to try that! Thanks for the idea!

Richelle said...

Great idea! My stash could use some help!

We've Got Scents said...

Wanted to let you know I will be praying for your precious daughter without ceasing. Cling to HIM for peace of mind and strength.
Blessings,
Kaye
Jeremiah 29:11
Psalm 46:10
Matthew 21:22