Wednesday, January 14, 2009

WFMW - Coupon Organizer



(I am definitely not the originator of the following idea, however, I can’t for the life of me remember where I read it. If I do, I will certainly add the link later.)

I am attempting to cut our grocery bill this year, just as many others are doing, and I’ve decided to give a more concerted effort towards using coupons. I have tried doing coupons in the past, but I’ve never felt like I’ve utilized them well. I have read article after article about people spending $3.43 on a stash of groceries that would have normally cost $4,532, but that’s just never happened to me. Oh how I hope it will, though!


My first goal in couponing was getting my coupons organized. The best idea that I ran across was storing your coupons in a 3-ring binder, using baseball card sleeves/protectors. I believe I got my sleeves at either Target or Wal-Mart, right alongside the baseball and football cards.

Each page has 9 slots and the majority of the coupons I have fit nicely with only one or two folds. I store coupons for the same product in the same sleeve, with the ones expiring soonest in front.

I thought I’d feel weird taking a notebook into the grocery store with me, but that hasn’t been the case. I have organized like coupons together, meaning all the frozen foods are together, cereals, etc. and I make sure I preview the coupons before going into the store.

With most stores doubling coupons, and sometimes even TRIPLING coupons, my next goal is stockpiling coupons so I can get more items for little or no money. I’ve asked the neighbors if they use their coupons, and they do, so I’m looking into ordering some from here.

Coupon organization works for me. To read other great tips, head over to Rocks in My Dryer!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I posted about coupon organization today, too! :) (My WFMW tip about my new way to carry my coupons is up HERE if you'd like to take a peek.)

I tried the 3-ring binder system for a while... it was too much for me to keep up with, but I'm glad it works for you. I know a lot of people have great success with it.

Have a great day! :)

Lorie said...

That is a great idea! I need to get better with my coupon clipping! Thanks for sharing.

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I've used a coupons organizer for years. I also tried the 3-ring binder system, but it was too big. I use a coupon organizer from http://www.couponorganizer.com/

I can put it right in the middle of the cart, slip my list on the inside, pull coupons that I'm using for that trip, and I love the clear pockets, it's compact, and will fit easily in the console of my car or van. The leather exterior is tough and withstands lots of abuse!